Well, what does a girl do when a referral for a baby doesn't come to be?? Allow me to tell you! :)
She starts with shopping! Sunday evening I found myself wandering meaninglessly through Walmart, a little dazed and confused about what had just happened. Over the course of the weekend as I sat at home waiting to learn what we were to do next, my mind raced through all of the things that I should get done before leaving. Top of the list were things like...I haven't had my hair cut since last January...I should get that taken care of. Another thought was...oh man, my eyebrows need some serious loving. On that thought, I sat in the cosmetics aisle at Walmart looking for a home eyebrow waxing kit. Then I decided that I really need a new tweezers. A girl can spend a good 45 minutes searching for the right tweezers and home waxing kit. There might even be something therapeutic about it! Focusing on eyebrows led only to the realization that I haven't bought any new mascara for quite awhile, and come to think of it...I don't really like the stuff that I bought last time anyway. Do you girls out there realize how many gazillions of choices there are for one's eyelashes?!?! Do I want to volumize or lengthen? Do I want to curl or extend? Do I want black or brown or brown/black, or maybe soft black? Do I want waterproof or not? Hmmmmmm...these difficult things to ponder, led to another 45 minutes spent starring at mascara packages! I believe there might even be something therapeutic in that as well! About this time I realize that the ice cream that I put in my cart upon walking into Walmart is now melting...so I made my final decisions and headed home.
Later in the week I was at Sam's Club...hmmm, what do I need from Sam's that will help me feel more prepared next time "the call" comes? This led to me buying a little boy outfit, in case we don't have time to pick something up on our way to get the baby. I also bought one can of formula. There isn't really anything that makes a whole lot of logical sense behind the couple of things that I picked up. Because now I have a can of formula, but don't own any bottles...so...well, don't ask me why...I don't have any answers. OK...I could actually come up with a reason to my madness, but some of you may not have ADHD tendencies which could lead to problems following my "reasoning". So let's just celebrate that I now own a can of formula and a baby boy outfit!
What are some of the other things that had to be taken care of before I get "the call" once again from our social worker? Well of course, my hair has been in disarray for many months now. Ponytails are very appropriate for the soccer mom that I am all summer long, but now I need some cleaning up. I arranged a time for my dear friend to do my hair...not only did she do my hair, we got to catch up on life, she fed us all lunch, our kids were able to play with each other, and she even did the girls hair! Whew...friends are so great! Thanks a ton, Monica! As she was doing my hair and I could do nothing but sit there...I was hit with a wave of exhaustion. I never realized how exhausting just "thinking" could be! Mental energy is a draining thing!
I came home with full intentions of taking a well deserved nap. I ended up becoming so disgusted with the mess of our home. All of a sudden, out of nowhere came this energy that I haven't had in well...lets just say a r-e-a-l-l-y l-o-n-g time! I was a cleaning freak! We are talking scrubbing the tub, the floor, the sinks, the toilet, basically anything that I could put Comet on and use a scrub brush on was fair game for this cleaning freak! It feels so good to have such sparkling cleanliness surrounding me! (Don't burst my bubble here by reminding me that there are still about 47 loads of laundry that need to be done. I will keep chipping away at that.) :) It was very much like pregnancy "nesting", but only better...I wasn't out of breath the whole time.
Last weekend was a great trial run! This week I have made some progress in preparing for the "real deal". We saw how quickly things can happen and how utterly unprepared we truly are. I will continue to chip away on our "preparedness" issues. The whole thing is this...if we do go out and get a diaper bag ready, set up a crib, buy the bottles and pacifiers, yada-yada-yada...it will then turn into us not getting a call for another two years. We'll sit here starring at our "preparedness" only growing more impatient as the days pass by. So I figure if I just chip away at it a little bit at a time, then when "the call" does actually come...I'll feel a little less frantic! :) Sometimes none of this even feels like it is really our life. This journey is so "off of the radar" that Matt and I are just going with the flow of it. One day will come that we will post pictures of a little bundle of joy that has been placed in our arms. I will sit here with my mouth dropped still not believing it is our life! I will be even more amazed at how Great is our God!!!
Friday, October 12, 2007
Nesting--Adoption Style...
Posted by Laura Lu at 11:40 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


21 comments:
I so have ADHD tendencies so your shopping trip made perfect sense to me.
Little by little is good. I am doing that now, just "shopping" online now. Which really means, just browsing. :) looking at ebay, Craigslist, seeing what I can get cheaper but still nice and what I will need to get new at babiesrus or ikea.
How do you get that cleaning energy, can you bottle and ship me some? I so need it!
-Kim
I smiled at your can of formula. Your heart is so into being a mommy! Bless you!!
Justine
I can just see you looking in the mirror, checking out the hair, holding a hot cup of "cheap" coffee. ha!
What love you have for your upcoming, blessed, bundle of joy. You are such an example of patience, godly patience (i know you're not perfect!!!) but what an encouragement you are. Thank you for being so transparent. It can even teach we "old" women what to be like in circumstances that require waiting.
Love you, Kitchen Queen Sue
Well, Laura, I haven't had time to read your blog for quite some time but thankfully my sisters have kept me quite informed on your story. I have just been so busy, busy, busy....my sister, Ethel, gave me some zuchini from the abundance of her garden. Iv'e tried baking it, boiling it, stir frying it, freezing it, canning it, pureeing and dehydrating it(to make zuchini leather) and I just can't get rid of it. She told me to try zuchini crisp - it was awful. I didn't have the heart to tell her I can't stand zuchini. She means well. If only she would have given me apples. Speaking of coffee - do you ever lay in bed at night and imagine how good that 1st cup of coffee is going to taste?.......I am dreaming already and its not even bedtime. I can't promise I'll pray for you every time I take a sip (half the time, I can't even remember where I've set down my mug) but, I will pray for you often my dear! I love you! Phoebe
Sue, you don't look that old to me.Do you botox? Oscar thinks maybe I should, just for a little lift around the eyes. I wonder if cold zuchini slices would help.
Phoebe...I was actually crawling into bed last night with a twinge of excitement for morning to come because I had some Starbucks Breakfast Blend to brew at home and some biscotti to enjoy with it. Sue, I broke down and bought a bag of whole bean Breakfast Blend! (Forgot to add that to the list of my shopping purchases!)
Phoebe, try this tomorrow morning...as you are praying, "Dear Lord, please help me find my coffee mug"...you can continue on praying for our adoption journey.
And yes, Sue does use Botox! Along with some other "pick me ups" if you will! :) I really don't think she is that old...
Kim, you are the secret to our energy boost...we crank up your tunes and clean away! So sorry I can't help you...you have been the one to help me!
Ammie, I am so glad that you were able to "pick up what I was droppin". ADHD "tendency-ers" unite! ;)
Girl you are so strong & YES..I am still praying & still awaiting that perfect baby. I know the nesting feeling..we felt the pull to adoption over a year ago and I have been yearning for a baby in my arms since then & we are at God's mercy for when that will be fulfilled too!!
I have a load of Avent bottles you can have...er um...borrow. I never know if this plethora of babies might send me into baby mania myself. But I did hear there was some sort of plastic concern with the Avents?!? Anyway...
If you really, really feel the urge for more nesting, I am the sort of friend that would allow you, no, ENCOURAGE you to come take that out on my home!
Ethel - I think youse and me got something in common. You can't find your coffee and I usually can't find where I set down my pipe! Strange ain't it.
I only have one question - I have searched the internet far and wide and I seeking an answer to this question: "Is Rusty still in the Navy?"
Crandall (aka...Clarence), I think you might have me confused with my sister Phoebe.....I don't ever misplace my coffee mug.As far as getting together, you crazy goon - we're already together. You're my best.
Laura- I love reading your blog- you are so full of faith- I am learning much from you!
I can totally understand your walmart trip!!!! I've been there!
Can't go wrong with new tweezers, waxing kit, lunch with a friend, AND a new haircut. So do you feel like a new woman, or what?
I hope the call comes soon. Right after the "laundry fairy" finishes up the last of the dirty clothes. And when she's done, send her over my way, mkay? ;)
It is such a blessing to be able to follow your journey. Your patience and desire to serve god is such a wonderful example.
Oh how I have been down that aisle so many times. Your shopping trip sounds very similar to one of mine!
Little by little is a very good idea. We are doing the same thing. I think it helps the waiting.
Can't wait until you guys get the call!
Your post was delightfully refreshing. Jordan says her writing course tells her to add "ly" words to her writing so I'm going to try it. You are incredibly funny. We are praying as you patiently wait for your triumphantly happy moment when you hold that baby in your arms. Can't wait for it myself. I know we'll get the Queen on board before long!
Hi Laura, I'm one of Betsy's friends and e-mailed you last spring right before you left for Haiti. What a ride God is taking you on. I hadn't caught up with your story until I saw your blog spot this week at work from an e-mail from Bets. I can't stop thinking about your family. You are such an encouragement to me. We are in the adoption adventure also, we were hoping to go to Guatemala and were waiting to see what the government says. We're not really sure what to do next. Anyway, thanks for being so real, in your faith and as a mom. Take Care.
Valerie, I was just wondering about you today. I was wondering what you were going to do with your Guatemalan adoption plans. Please keep me posted! Adoption is quite the journey, but God is so Faithful!
Thanks so much for posting a comment!
Laura, I wish I were there. There's nothing I love more then an ADHD shopping trip with caffeine! Actually just a plain shopping trip would do. And I know what you mean about not being out of breath when you clean. I can't even sing songs to the kids without being out of breath...
LOL2UmyBFFIWWW
Girl! I am with you! I was hyperventilating in Target tonight looking at all the baby things I need to get! One step at a time right? Praying for ya! Love ~ JavaJackie
BOTOX!!? How did you know? Is it because I have that permanent pixie, deer in the headlights looK? A girl's got to do what she has to to keep herself and her man happy!
Seriously, thanks for the "lift" in my day. Enjoy yours, remember it's SUNDAY. :)
Love, Kitchen Queen Sue
i love the way you think:). ps your hair looks GREAT...so do your eyebrows;)!! lol!! love you!
I can so relate to the shopping experiences. It's what keeps a waiting mama going! ;-)
Post a Comment